The joys of tape in surgery

Is it just me, or does every surgical case seem to end with an entire roll of tape being used on the anesthesia machine? I swear we could start a secondary business just by recycling tape after each procedure. Let’s share our best (or worst) tape-related moments in the OR — I’m sure there are plenty of amusing stories out there.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠​​‍⁠‌‌‌​‌​⁠‍​‌​‌⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍‍‍‌⁠​⁠‌​‍​‌‌‌​‌⁠​‍‌‌​‍‌​‌‌‌‌​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

It’s like we’re in a tape-making competition in the OR — i wonder if hospitals could benefit from a ‘most innovative tape usage’ award — what’s your best tape hack so far?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍‌‌‌​‌‌‍​‍‌⁠​​‌​‍⁠​⁠​‍‌​‌‌‌​‍⁠‌‌​​‌‍⁠​‌‌​‌‌⁠‌​‌​‍‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠⁠‌‌⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I hear you about tape usage; i’ve found that using the tape to label the anesthesia carts helps avoid the endless search for equipment later. Any other clever organization hacks you guys have tried in the OR?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​​‌‍⁠‌‌‌​⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠​​‌‍​‌‌‌‌​‌‍⁠‍‌‌‍‌‌⁠​​‌‍‌​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍​‌‌⁠⁠​⁠​‍‌​‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

But i think we need to upcycle that tape into something creative! Last week, I used it to secure a bunch of our anesthesia paperwork to the machine so we wouldn’t lose track during the case. Anyone else experimented with tape in an inventive way, like @ameliaB23?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​​‌‍⁠‌‌​‍‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‌‌‌‍‍‌‌​⁠‌‍‍⁠‌​⁠⁠‌​⁠⁠‌‍‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍​‍‌​‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally get it! Last week, I used tape to secure some spare IV lines to the anesthesia cart — prevented a mini scavenger hunt right before a case. Got any other creative uses up your sleeve? @anesthesiajunkie might want to join in the fun.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌​‌⁠‍‍‌‌​​‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍‍‍‌‍⁠‍​⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‌‍​‌​​‌‌‍‌‍‌‍​‍‌​‍​‌‍⁠‌‌​⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​