The joys of pediatric gas induction

I’ve seen it all — especially when it comes to the creativity of kids during gas induction. The other day, I had a 5-year-old who was convinced that the mask was a spaceship and promptly started narrating a mission to Mars. It turned a potentially stressful moment into a laughter-filled experience, proving once again that a little humor goes a long way in our field. How have you all found ways to bring joy and light-heartedness to similar situations?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‌‌‌‌​‌⁠‍​‌⁠​​‌‍‍‍‌​‌‍‌‌​​‌​‍​‌‍⁠‍​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​​⁠‌‍‍‍‌‍​‌‌‍​‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally get that! Just last week, I had a kiddo who insisted the mask was a superhero mask. , it’s so refreshing how their imaginations just take over during those moments. Sometimes I’ll bring in a favorite toy for them — it can really ease the tension, like a mini comfort zone.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‌‍​‌​‍​‌⁠‌​‌​​‌‌⁠​‍​⁠​‌‌‌​⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‍‍‌‌⁠​‌‌⁠‌⁠‌​​‌‌‍​‌​⁠‌​‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Love those moments! Had a kiddo who thought the mask was an alien spaceship too. It’s wild how they turn tension into fun! Ever had them “take off” together? :joy:.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌‌​⁠​⁠‌‌‌‌​‍⁠‌‌‌‍‍‌​⁠​‌​‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​‍‌⁠‍‍‌​⁠​‌‍⁠⁠‌​​‌‌‍⁠​‌‌‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

That’s so relatable! I once had a little one who thought the mask was a bubble-blowing machine. We had a whole conversation about how many bubbles we could blow before ‘taking off’ to the moon.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌​‍⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​⁠‌​⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍​⁠‌​‌​‌⁠‌⁠‍‍‌⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Had a kiddo once who believed the mask was a magic portal that could take him anywhere in the universe. It really turned the whole process into a fun adventure! Just goes to show, you never know which way their imaginations will take you. @jgreenwood64, have you ever had one ask where they’re flying to?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‍‌‍‍⁠​⁠‍‌‌‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍⁠‌‌​‌⁠‌‍​‌‌‌​‌‌​‍⁠‌​⁠⁠‌​‌‌‌⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​