Impact of drug interactions on anesthetic outcomes

I’ve been reviewing some recent cases where patients with multiple chronic conditions experienced varied responses to anesthesia due to drug interactions. For instance, combining certain antihypertensives with anesthesia can lead to significant hypotension. I’m curious if anyone else has noticed particular interactions that have altered their approach to anesthesia management in complex patients.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍​‌‍‍‌​⁠​‍‌‌​​‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‍‌‌‍‌​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌​‍⁠‌​​‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve definitely seen the impact of combining certain ACE inhibitors with anesthesia. > particular interactions that have altered their approach to anesthesia management in complex patients. I’ve adjusted our pre-anesthetic assessments to ensure we’re monitoring baseline vitals more closely. Has anyone tried different monitoring strategies in these cases?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‍‌‌‌​‌‍​‍‌‍‌⁠​⁠​‍‌⁠‍‌‌​​⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌​‌⁠‌​​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‍‌​​‌‌​‍‍‌⁠​‍‌​‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

, this drives me nuts too! I’ve noticed that patients on beta-blockers can really react unpredictably to anesthesia, especially when combined with certain sedatives. It’s a tricky balancing act; I usually try to adjust doses based on their specific meds and monitor closely during induction.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌‍‌​⁠⁠‌⁠‍‍‌‍‌‌‌‍‌​‌​‍‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‍​‌​⁠‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‍​‌‌‍‌‌​​‌​⁠​‍‌‍⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve seen similar issues with calcium channel blockers leading to hypotension during anesthesia; it’s crucial to monitor closely! @m_jones91.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​⁠‌​‌‌​⁠‍‌‌​‍‍‌⁠‍​‌‌​‌‌​‌‌‌‌‍​​⁠‍​‌‌​‌‌‌‍​‌‌‍‍‌‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌​‍‌‌​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​