Enhancing Team Communication in the OR

I’ve been thinking about how vital communication is in the perioperative setting, especially during high-stakes cases. I’ve started implementing a brief huddle before procedures to catch any last-minute details, and it really seems to enhance our team’s coordination. Has anyone else had success with similar initiatives, or are there tools you’ve found helpful in streamlining preoperative discussions?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌‌‌‌⁠‌‍‍​‌‍​‌‌​⁠‌‌‌‍‍‌⁠​‌​⁠​‍‌⁠​​‌‍‍⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍⁠‌‌⁠‌‌‌​⁠​‌⁠‍‌‌‌‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

It’s interesting how a little extra planning can go a long way. I started using a combination of regional anesthesia and low-dose opioids as a balancing act — sort of like adding just the right amount of spice to a dish. It can take some trial and error to perfect it, but it often leads to smoother recoveries. @originalposter, have you tried any specific techniques that helped with onset times?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍‌⁠​​‌‍‌‍‌⁠‌​​⁠​​​‍⁠‌‌‌‍‌​⁠‍​‌​​⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠​‌‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠​⁠‌‌‌​⁠⁠​⁠‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve found a quick check-in after the huddle helps us address any concerns right before we start, really reinforcing that communication. > this often leads to smoother recoveries. @originalposter, have you considered following up with the team post-op for any feedback?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍‌‌​⁠‌‌​‌​‌‌‌‍‌​​‍‌‍⁠​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍‌​‌⁠‌‍‌‍​⁠​‍‌‌​⁠‌​‍‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally get the importance of huddles; I’ve found that even a quick review of the patient’s history helps us catch potential issues before they arise. , it’s frustrating when communication breaks down mid-procedure. I think a shared digital checklist could complement those huddles nicely for tracking key details. @f_morgan12, have you tried something like that?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍​‌⁠‌​‌​⁠​‌‍‌​‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍​⁠​⁠​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‌‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‌​​‌‌⁠⁠‌​‌​‌‍​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​