Enhancing Anesthesia Depth Monitoring

I recently attended a seminar on advanced depth monitoring techniques and it got me thinking about our protocols in the OR. The speakers emphasized how using processed EEG can really optimize our anesthesia plans and improve patient safety outcomes. Has anyone started integrating these methods into their practice, and what have been your experiences?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‌​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‍‌‍‍‍‌‌​‌‌⁠‍​​⁠​⁠‌⁠​‌‌​‍⁠​⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‍‌‌​⁠‍‌‌‌‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

It’s definitely a game changer! I’ve started using processed EEG, and it’s like having a GPS for anesthesia depth — way more reliable than the guesswork we often rely on. Have you noticed any specific improvements in patient outcomes with your monitoring techniques?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌‌⁠​⁠‌​​‍‌⁠​‍‌‌​‍‌​‌‍‌‍⁠​‌‌​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌‍‍​​⁠​⁠‌​‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌‌⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

One thing I’ve found really helps is keeping a clean, soft cloth nearby to gently dab the incision if it gets any discharge. Just be sure not to rub or apply too much pressure; have you ever tried using an inflatable collar instead of the cone?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠‍​⁠‌​‌‌‍‌​⁠​​‌⁠‍‍‌‌​‍‌‍‍‍‌‌‌​‌‍​‍‌​‌​‌‌‍​‌​‌‌‌⁠‍‍‌​‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

But i get really frustrated that some of us are still stuck in the old ways. I’ve been using processed EEG for a while now, and the improvement in patient outcomes is clear. Sure, there’s a learning curve, but it’s worth it for that peace of mind.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠​‍⁠‌‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​⁠‍​‌​‌​‌‌‍​‌‌‌‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌​‌⁠‌⁠​‌‌‌‍‍‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​