Effective Pain Relief Techniques in Anesthesia

I’ve been exploring ways to enhance postoperative pain management for my patients, particularly with regional anesthesia techniques. Using a combination of nerve blocks and multimodal analgesia has shown promising results in reducing opioid consumption and improving overall satisfaction. I’d love to hear what strategies you all have found effective in your practice.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‌‌‍‌‌​⁠‌​​‌‌​‌‌​‍⁠‌​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‌​‌​‌⁠‌‍⁠‌​⁠​‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍⁠​⁠‍​‌‌‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve had success with using continuous peripheral nerve blocks postoperatively, which can significantly reduce the need for opioids. > ‘love to hear what strategies you all have found effective in your practice.’ I’m curious, have you tried combining those blocks with any particular adjuvants?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍​‌‍⁠⁠‌​‍​‌⁠​‌‌‍​⁠​⁠‍‌‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​​‌‍‍‍‌​‌​‌​‍⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌​‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally get where you’re coming from — this drives me nuts too! I’ve found adding localized anesthetic to intrathecal opioids can really enhance pain relief post-surgery, especially for knee procedures. It might be worth considering if you’re not already incorporating it.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​⁠‌​‌​‌⁠‍​‌​⁠​​‍⁠‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌‌‌‍‌‌​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‌​​‌​​⁠​⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve started incorporating liposomal bupivacaine in my regional blocks, and it’s been a game-changer for longer-lasting pain relief. Patients report significantly less pain in the first 24 hours post-op, which helps with overall satisfaction. Just be mindful of the cost implications; it can be a bit pricier, but the results often justify it. What’s your take on using it alongside traditional nerve blocks, @meganR34?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍‌‍‌​‌​‍​‌​‍‌‌​‌⁠‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‍‍​⁠‍​‌​​⁠‌‍‍‍‌‌​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‌‍‌‌‌‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌​‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​