Adjusting to New Anesthesia Guidelines

I’ve been reviewing the new anesthesia guidelines released this month, and it’s clear there are significant changes that will impact our care coordination. One notable shift is the emphasis on preoperative assessments, particularly in high-risk patients. I’m curious how others are adapting their protocols to align with these updates.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‌⁠‌‌‍‍‌​‌‍‌​‍‌‌​⁠⁠‌‍⁠‌‌​​‍‌⁠‍‌‌⁠​‌‌​​⁠‌‌‌‌‌‍‍‍‌​‍​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I recently started doing more thorough preoperative assessments for high-risk patients, which has really helped in optimizing their care plans. I’ve been using a detailed checklist to ensure nothing gets missed, especially concerning their medical history and medication interactions. It’s made a noticeable difference in our outcomes.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌​‍⁠‌‌‌‌‌‌‍‌​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌‌‌​⁠​​⁠​​‌​‍‍‌​​‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve found incorporating a standardized pre-op questionnaire really helps streamline assessments for high-risk patients. As you mentioned, understanding >history and medication interactions can be crucial; it’s made a noticeable difference in our outcomes too. How are you handling post-op follow-ups with these changes?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌​‌​⁠‌‌‌‍‍‌‍‌​​‍⁠‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌​‌‍⁠‌‌​⁠​‌‌​‍‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​‌‌​‌‍‌​​‌‌‌‌‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve been using the new pre-op assessment forms since the guidelines dropped and it’s really streamlined my process — just curious, did anyone else notice the increased time spent on assessments? :thinking:.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‍‌⁠​‌​⁠​‌‌​‍⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‍​⁠‍‌‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‌‍​‌⁠‍​‌​​‍‌​‍‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​